Monday, June 1, 2009

June 1-June 6 (Day to Day)


Monday: Harvest Day! Today we harvested chard, arugula, garlic chives, thyme, mustard greens, lettuce. hakurei turnips, rhubarb, spinach, salad mix, pac choi, and asparagus. After lunch, Janet and I worked on laying plastic mulch and drip tape in the children's garden, tomatoes go in tomorrow! Shawn and I also used pieces of old drip tape to make straps for rolling up the sides and doors of the hoop house. The day finished with the nice relaxing task of weeding and thinning carrot beds. 
Tuesday: This morning we switched chores and my chore is now the cooler inventory and washing of harvest bins and seedling trays. After chores I moved on to start planting tomatoes for my project which is an experiment assessing the effects mycorhizal fungus and tomato plants. After lunch I went to Ela Orchard and helped Bob mulch under the remainder of young apple trees.
Wednesday: This morning I finished off the tomato plants. The varieties that I planted in the field include: Big Beef, San Marzano, Green Zebra, Cherokee Purple, Brandywine, German Johnson, Mennonite Tiffen, Ruth's, Rose De Berne, and Pineapple. I also planted a bed of eggplants, 168 plants to be exact. The varieties include: Nadia, Orient Express and Rosa Bianca. After lunch Mara and I went to beekeeping with Dan O'Leary.
Thursday: In the morning I worked on shaping a bed in the Children's Garden for the next succession on swiss chard. I also roto-tilled the rest of Spin 3 to prepare the beds for my next succession of arugula and the coming planting of beans.
Friday: Today we worked on a harvest to stock the walk in cooler for the weekend and fill some orders We harvested asparagus, spinach, pac choi, rhubarb, green butter head lettuce,  .  I then moved onto shaping and planting a bed of arugula. I finished the morning by measuring and marking the beds in the hoop house. After lunch all of the students along with Shawn went on a tour of Prairie Dock Farm in Jefferson County.
Saturday: This morning we prepared the raised beds in the hoop house by shaping the beds, laying drip tape and plastic mulch. Next we planted three beds of tomatoes including: Big Beef, Estiva, Martin, Red Pear, Sun Gold, Hillbilly, Striped Roman, Garden Peach, Black Seaman, and Black Plum . 

No comments:

Post a Comment